While we all enjoy pocking fun at the Halloween scaredy cats, let us not forget that some people actually do have “Halloween Phobias”.
Almost everyone has irrational fears. But for some, these fears are so severe that they cause tremendous anxiety and interfere with normal day-to-day life.
If you have a phobia, you probably realize that your fear is unreasonable, yet you still can’t control your feelings. Just thinking about the thing you fear may make you anxious. And when you’re actually exposed to your phobia, the terror is automatic and overwhelming. The experience is so nerve-wracking that you may go to great lengths to avoid it – inconveniencing yourself or even changing your lifestyle.
You can overcome phobias and fears with the right treatment and self-help strategies. So don’t wait to seek help.
If you are suffering with what we call a “Halloween Phobia”, get help. Contact your local CMHA.
Here is a short list of documented “Halloween Phobias”:
- FEAR OF BATS – CHIROPTOPHOBIA
- FEAR OF BEING BURIED ALIVE – TAPHEPHOBIA
- FEAR OF BLOOD – HEMOTOPHOBIA
- FEAR OF CATS – ELUROPHOBIA
- FEAR OF CEMETARIES – COCMETROPHOBIA
- FEAR OF CLOWNS – COULROPHOBIA
- FEAR OF CORPSES OR DEAD PEOPLE – NECROPHOBIA
- FEAR OF DARK WOODED AREAS OR OF FORESTS AT NIGHT – NYCTOHYLOPHOBIA
- FEAR OF DARKNESS – ACHLUOPHOBIA
- FEAR OF DECAYING MATTER – SEPLOPHOBIA
- FEAR OF DEMONS – DEMONOPHOBIA
- FEAR OF DOLLS – PEDIOPHOBIA
- FEAR OF FOG – NEBULAPHOBIA
- FEAR OF GHOSTS – PHASMOPHOBIA
- FEAR OF GRAVES – PAPHOPHOBIA
- FEAR OF HALLOWEEN – SAMHAINOPHOBIA
- FEAR OF NIGHT – NOCTOPHOBIA
- FEAR OF PUMPKINS – CUCURBILOPHOBIA
- FEAR OF SHADOWS – SCIOPHOBIA
- FEAR OF SPIDERS – ARACHNOPHOBIA
- FEAR OF SPIRITS – PNEUMATIPHOBIA
- FEAR OF THE BOOGEYMAN – BOGYPHOBIA
- FEAR OF THE COLOUR BLACK – MELANOPHOBIA
- FEAR OF THE MOON – SELENOPHOBIA
- FEAR OF TOMBSTONES – PLACOPHOBIA
- FEAR OF WITCHES – WICCAPHOBIA